Home Forums Open Forum 8/17 it’s Saturday! What’s going on?

last updated by  mnm1994 1 month ago
3 voices
8 replies
  • Author
      mnm1994
      Keymaster
      • Topics599
      • Replies1983
      • Total2582
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★

It has been raining NONSTOP day and night here for the last three days…it hasn’t stopped for one minute.
      I like the fact that it’s keeping everything cool so that AC doesn’t have to work so hard, but OMG! The dogs are refusing to go out 75% of the time and keep going potty in the house. They don’t do it in front of me, but wait until I leave or go to sleep. This has to stop soon because I am getting so frustrated.

But, at least the weekend is here! I have all of my chores done, so I can take it easy until Monday.

Taylor is really enjoying high school and making new friends everyday. It blows her away being around so many kids, since her middle school only had 100 kids (that included all of 6-8th grade!) She has always hated school and for the first time, she comes out of school smiling and laughing everyday. I am so happy for her!

How are y’all doing? I hope you have a great day!

• #33540 Reply
      Xfilesgirl75
      Keymaster
      • Topics196
      • Replies1392
      • Total1588
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

Oh gosh..I would go nuts with the dogs going inside my house. I get upset if a cat vomits! HA! We have not had rain since mid May here. Was 103 today.. ugh! HA

I am glad Taylor likes high school.  With a bigger crowd you can find people who you want to hang out with/have things in common with  and not be stuck with the same group of people you dont really like cause theres not many kids to begin with. HA

• #33552 Reply
      Greenbird15
      Keymaster
      • Topics1231
      • Replies1418
      • Total2649
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

Oh Michelle I’m sorry the dogs are pissing in the house that’s no good. Good luck with making it stop asap!

PetHelpful»
      Dogs»
      Training
      7 Tips for Dogs Refusing to Potty in the Rain
      Updated on May 24, 2019

Adrienne Janet Farricelli  more
      Adrienne is a certified dog trainer, former veterinary assistant, and the author of “Brain Training for Dogs.”

Why Do Dogs Refuse to Potty in the Rain?
      Is your dog refusing to go potty in the rain? Who can blame the little pooch—nobody really likes getting drenched. If you have a dog that doesn’t like to go out when it’s raining, the situation may be quite frustrating to deal with, especially on those days when there’s a steady rain that never stops, and your dog must go potty before going to bed for the night.

Why Does My Dog Dislike Rain So Much?
      There may be several reasons that your dog doesn’t like going out in the rain. Here are a few possibilities:

Lack of exposure: Many dogs aren’t used to being exposed to the rain when they are puppies, so they grow up not being used much to the rain and the sensation of getting wet.
      Negative associations: If, say, your dog is tentative one day about going out when it’s raining and you get upset and scold him, your dog may start associating the rain with bad things.
      Our overreactions: Some people avoid the rain as much as possible when walking their dogs and avoid puddles like the plague. The fact that we make a big deal when we get wet can affect how our dog experiences the rain, as well.
      Our frustration: When we get frustrated when our dogs won’t potty in the rain, we can make matters even worse. Dogs easily pick up our moods and reactions, so they may learn that rain is bad and should be avoided at all costs.
      In Arizona, where I live, things can be particularly problematic because dogs aren’t accustomed to seeing much rain for a good part of the year—and then during monsoon season, the rain comes non-stop for days at a time. Dealing with this problem first hand with my Rottweilers, I have come up with a nice list of tips to help your dog become more comfortable in going potty in the rain.

Train your dog to go potty in the rain

7 Tips to Help Your Dog Go Potty in the Rain
      1. Get your dog used to water.
      There are chances that domestication has spoiled our dogs. Dogs in the wild must get wet if they want to eat. Domesticated dogs rarely get wet nowadays. I recommend getting young dogs used to getting wet from a young age. I add getting a bit wet in my socialization classes. Get a garden hose and let your dog play with the water. Your dog will have lots of fun! I was reluctant to believe this at first but after being shy a few minutes my dogs had a blast playing in the water!

2. Feed on wet grass.
      Rain is often not the only problem with dogs who hate rain. Many dogs seem to also hate walking on the wet grass. Well, guess what? You can classically condition your dog to love wet grass, here’s how. If it has not recently rained, lightly make the grass humid with a garden hose and put your dog’s food bowl down in the wet grass or toss some treats around. You can play a fun game of fetch on the wet grass. Your dog will start to associate wet grass with food or other fun things, or at least will learn that wet grass is nothing to worry about.

3. Let them walk.
      Walking stimulates elimination. Take your dog for a walk in the rain. Sooner or later the urge will come, so be patient. It may be tough at first but they will get used to the rain and gradually getting used to it will shorten the time to go potty.

4. Invest in a large umbrella.
      If you are looking for short cuts this may work. Doggy boots may be helpful as well as would a dog raincoat. But be aware: should one of these items be missing, your dog will go back to categorically refusing to go potty. Don’t have an umbrella? Get your dog a nice raincoat instead!

5. Use a covered spot.
      It’s not a bad idea to take your dog to a covered area to potty. Look for a tree with thick foliage, a carport under dirt or build an area that is covered but that has still dirt under that you can bring your dog to when it rains. Of course, if you’re using a public place, don’t forget to pick up after your dog!

6. Wait until your dog really needs to go.
      This may work in some cases. If it is raining outside, delay your dog’s potty time. Let’s say instead of 9 p.m. take your dog out at 10:30 p.m. or perhaps wait when your dog goes to the door. At this point, the urge to potty may override the fear of the rain.

7. Train a “go potty” cue.
      This will help your dog generalize the behavior of going potty to different situations, places, and scenarios. This is a very helpful cue your want your dog to learn as it can make going potty a breeze. Here are tips on how to train your dog how to potty on command.

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Dog-refusing-to-go-potty-in-the-rain

• #33553 Reply
      Greenbird15
      Keymaster
      • Topics1231
      • Replies1418
      • Total2649
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

@xfilesgirl75 yes that’s what I loved about high school-you met people that you wished you had already known. And that is too long to go w/o rain! Does it normally not rain all summer there?

• #33554 Reply
      Greenbird15
      Keymaster
      • Topics1231
      • Replies1418
      • Total2649
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

My mom is coming over sometime today so we can have a test run/drive for her to see where to drop off the kids at school for me for next wk. They’re going to 2 different elem schools since June’s school doesn’t have a 3 yo preschool.

• #33555 Reply
      Xfilesgirl75
      Keymaster
      • Topics196
      • Replies1392
      • Total1588
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

@xfilesgirl75 yes that’s what I loved about high school-you met people that you wished you had already known. And that is too long to go w/o rain! Does it normally not rain all summer there?

@Greenbird15

We dont get rain in the summer at all here. Usually our last rain is  early may and it starts up in October..maybe september late but usually October

• #33568 Reply
      mnm1994
      Keymaster
      • Topics599
      • Replies1983
      • Total2582
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★

@xfilesgirl75 Yep, this is a mess here. And it’s now day 4 of rain LOL…I woke up to a bunch of nonsense this morning. Hopefully, it will stop soon.

@greenbird15 thanks for the article you posted!
      That sucks that the kids are going to different schools. That happens a lot here, too.

• #33573 Reply
      Greenbird15
      Keymaster
      • Topics1231
      • Replies1418
      • Total2649
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

@mnm1994 I really hope that it helps! You sometimes have to be unconventional with animals like my dad rigged up a loud horn that would blare when you pressed a button by his chair for when our flighted cockatiels would go by the cords lol!

• #33604 Reply
      mnm1994
      Keymaster
      • Topics599
      • Replies1983
      • Total2582
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★

@greenbird15 that is funny about the horn LOL.

Reply To: 8/17 it’s Saturday! What’s going on?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.