4 replies
  • Author
      Beckie
      Participant
      • Topics3
      • Replies18
      • Total21
      • ★★

Any suggestions on how to keep a dog from eating the stems of blackberry’s? Our dog has taken a liking to the stems of my new plants and have them down to next to nothing. He’s also decided he doesn’t like pansy’s. He’s dug them out of a planter and left the other flowers alone.

I”m trying to get the stems to reroot theirselves. I’ve put them in a potato with a hole in it and planted them in dirt. Heard it works for roses so I thought I might as well try it.

• #5979 Reply
      Roisin
      • Topics70
      • Replies186
      • Total256
      • Mom Friend
      • ★★★
      • Group Admin

Not sure. I’ve read before that dogs dont like citrus smells, so put peels arounds your plant and marigolds deter dogs as well as other critters. Wont hurt to try I suppose.

• #6023 Reply
      SissyAnn141
      • Topics193
      • Replies618
      • Total811
      • Super Mom
      • ★★★★
      • Group Admin

Did you know that many common garden and house plants can be toxic to your dog? In fact, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals lists over 390 that are poisonous—primarily when ingested.1Some may even cause death.

If you suspect that your pet has ingested something poisonous, please do not hesitate to call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-4ANI-HELP (888-426-4435). If you have general concerns that something in your pet’s environment is impacting his or her health or well-being, please consult with your veterinarian.

Some of the most common plants that are toxic to dogs are:

Adam-and-Eve
      Boston Ivy
      Marijuana
      Aloe
      Buttercup
      Mistletoe
      Amaryllis
      Caladium
      Morning Glory
      American Bittersweet
      Cherry Tree
      Peach Tree
      American Holly
      Chinaberry
      Philodendron
      American Mandrake
      Christmas Tree
      Plum Tree
      Apple Tree
      Chrysanthemum
      Rhododendron
      Apricot Tree
      Clematis
      Sweet Pea
      Arrowhead Fern
      Creeping Fig
      Tomato Plant
      Autumn Crocus
      Daffodil
      Tulip
      Avocado
      Diffenbachia
      Wisteria
      Azalea
      Foxglove
      Yarrow
      Begonia
      Hydrangea
      Yew
      Please note that while we make all efforts to provide up-to-date, valid information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information. Also, our plants list is not meant to be all-inclusive.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it is about learning to Dance in the Rain"

• #7058 Reply
      Beckie
      Participant
      • Topics3
      • Replies18
      • Total21
      • ★★

The main one that he was eating was my blackberry bushes. I think he finally got the idea that I do not want him chewing on them. I used amonia on the area outside of the plant (about 2 feet away) and the next time I caught him with one of the branches I smacked him with it. I hate to hit any animal but I was at the end of my rope with him. I put over $100 into all those plants and he was slowly killing them off. He hasn’t went near them since and he still loves me so I guess maybe we came to an agreement about my bushes.

• #9758 Reply
      Delta
      Participant
      • Topics11
      • Replies582
      • Total593
      • Mom Friend
      • ★★★

Did you know that many common garden and house plants can be toxic to your dog? In fact, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals lists over 390 that are poisonous—primarily when ingested.1Some may even cause death. If you suspect that your pet has ingested something poisonous, please do not hesitate to call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-4ANI-HELP (888-426-4435). If you have general concerns that something in your pet’s environment is impacting his or her health or well-being, please consult with your veterinarian. Some of the most common plants that are toxic to dogs are: Adam-and-Eve Boston Ivy Marijuana Aloe Buttercup Mistletoe Amaryllis Caladium Morning Glory American Bittersweet Cherry Tree Peach Tree American Holly Chinaberry Philodendron American Mandrake Christmas Tree Plum Tree Apple Tree Chrysanthemum Rhododendron Apricot Tree Clematis Sweet Pea Arrowhead Fern Creeping Fig Tomato Plant Autumn Crocus Daffodil Tulip Avocado Diffenbachia Wisteria Azalea Foxglove Yarrow Begonia Hydrangea Yew Please note that while we make all efforts to provide up-to-date, valid information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information. Also, our plants list is not meant to be all-inclusive.

wow!  I had no idea.

Reply To: Blackberrys

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.