Home Forums Support Forum I’m feeling a little better already :)

3 voices
7 replies
  • Author
      Greenbird15
      Keymaster
      • Topics1218
      • Replies1263
      • Total2481
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

My Dr did not freak about about my suppressed TSH and gave me an additional T4 medication called Tirosint. Thankfully they gave me a 4 week supply as samples. Its a low dose and get retested in 8 wks. I was Rx 50,000 units of vitamin d to take once a week for 8 wks and retest then too. Idk if it was the vitamin d or the increase in thyroid meds but my leg pain was almost gone away the next day and I noticed that I am walking a little bit faster. He said that my thyroid nodule was “saucer shaped” so its flat and hard to biopsy and because my Parathyroid and calcium levels were normal he’ll do an ultrasound in 6 mos. He did not rule out a PT tumor because the levels can flux with that an unless I can get a 4d ultrasound (there aren’t any facilities that have those in our area) we just have to wait. I liked the way he explained it-not like the ENT that said he didn’t want to get a biopsy done because “you might get a weird needle, the needle might get weird, you might get a weird needle” riight. LOL

The only thing I am waiting on is that my insurance co does not cover tirosint-it is the most pure t4 med: levo-thyroxine and glycerin and water. No additives. I protested to a supervisor that this is the only med that is certified gluten free and I am not going to take the others. They can see that I went to the Dr last August complaining of abdominal pain and shame on my old Dr’s for not testing me for celiac before I figured it out and now I don’t have it in my file as a diagnosis and its in a lot of meds so I have to be vigilant. The supervisor gave me the direct line for my Dr’s office to call and tell them I have a Rxn to gluten. They did that. I still haven’t heard from the pharmacy on it going through under my insurance and I am going to call my insurance and be a pest about it after the holiday weekend.This medicine is not on my plan as an insured med so Idk what if anything will be done. Its really expensive and I can get to how much it costs after I get to the bottom of it. I can say that on a thyroid group I am on-in Europe it costs them the equivalent of $8.50 a month American and last year it was $50 a month here in the U.S. Now as of January it is $135-$140. I’m not even playing. Get this-I am on the 13.5 mcg and it costs the same as 200mcg per month. It should be illegal. Also because mostly women are affected by thyroid disease it feels like we are being singled out.

Anyway enjoy these pics I took of myself on the FB messenger app

This one is scary:

• #29679 Reply
      Xfilesgirl75
      Keymaster
      • Topics191
      • Replies1228
      • Total1419
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

Funny pics! I am so glad you are already feeling better!

• #29683 Reply
      mnm1994
      Keymaster
      • Topics513
      • Replies1772
      • Total2285
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★

It’s great news to hear things are getting better! What a bunch of bull about that medicine though. I don’t have a prescription plan on my insurance and get my meds through a Canadian pharmacy since I pay out of pocket….if I paid regular price from Walmart, it would be 1,200.00 for a 3 month supply, but I pay less than 300…big difference! The meds are the same! I’ve been doing this for about 8 years.

Those pics are hilarious!

• #29706 Reply
      Greenbird15
      Keymaster
      • Topics1218
      • Replies1263
      • Total2481
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

@mnm1994 OMG the Rx companies are greedy goblins in the US *sigh. No word yet from the pharmacy I may just have to order through the manufacturer’s online pharmacy partners and it would be no more than $68 a month that way.

• #29739 Reply
      mnm1994
      Keymaster
      • Topics513
      • Replies1772
      • Total2285
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★

@mnm1994 OMG the Rx companies are greedy goblins in the US *sigh. No word yet from the pharmacy I may just have to order through the manufacturer’s online pharmacy partners and it would be no more than $68 a month that way.

@greenbird15 that sounds like a good option. It is awful what these companies charge, I know.

• #29964 Reply
      Greenbird15
      Keymaster
      • Topics1218
      • Replies1263
      • Total2481
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

@mnm1994  thankfully my Dr gave me some free samples of Tirosint until I could figure out what I was going to do-order from mail order or get my insurance to cover it. I called my insurance co and asked to speak to a supervisor-explained that I have a rxn to gluten and need this med-was told that it is not covered under my plan but I could have my Dr call a # there for Prior Authorization and gave me the direct #. Had my Dr call them and they told my Dr’s ofc that it was covered now-Dr ofc called me back and said its all set now. My pharmacy tried for a couple of days and when it was still not going through they called my insurance co and was told that they don’t have a prior authorization there for me. So I didn’t give up being a pest and called my insurance co again and talked to another supervisor and she mentioned that I have a Lifetime Approval on my Armour and she doesn’t know how I got that-I told her that I talked to another supervisor there like her that had Hashimoto’s too and she did it. She talked with the prior auth dept 3 times when I was on the phone just making sure that they didn’t already get it and told me that my Dr’s ofc would have to fill out a faxed form or do it online for the prior authorization. Called my Dr’s ofc again and had them call the direct# for the prior auth dept and guess what? They did it all over the phone just like I was told the first time and the person they talked to sent the approval over to the pharmacy and made a 1 year authorization for Tirosint on my plan. *Sorry for the long reply but that’s the whole story on how I was a pest and got my meds approved. I am picking them up today and it took under 2 weeks to make this happen. Shockingly, 3 mos supply is only costing me $30 vs. the $140 a month with no insurance or the $68 a month if you order online through the manufacturer’s preferred pharmacy with no insurance and their savings card. What a relief! I feel like I am waiting for Wednesday so I can take more vitamin D like I need a boost still but generally feeling better than I was-my old Dr was keeping me sick! So glad I’m out of that situation & hopeful that I will be feeling better than I am as time goes on.

• #29971 Reply
      mnm1994
      Keymaster
      • Topics513
      • Replies1772
      • Total2285
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★

Oh wow! You were really patient about getting your prescription! I’m so glad that you kept on it like that and it finally worked out. Good for you for not giving up…I know I would have.

‘Glad you’ll be feeling better soon!

• #29987 Reply
      Greenbird15
      Keymaster
      • Topics1218
      • Replies1263
      • Total2481
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

@mnm1994 thanks and it sucks that most people would have just been defeated and given up. I used to be in sales, remember? I used to call businesses and get their business so it pays to be persistent. In this case it saved me between

$174 and $390 every 3 mos,

$696 and $1560 a year.

I’ll be paying $120 a year! Less than it would have costed me for a 3 mos supply if I ordered from the manufacturer.

Reply To: I’m feeling a little better already :)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.