Home Forums Open Forum Wasp Traps-Any experience?

3 voices
8 replies
  • Author
      Greenbird15
      Keymaster
      • Topics1222
      • Replies1222
      • Total2444
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

I am very allergic now and need to try to keep them away. I will be trying this and anything else that you all may have tried. I am so happy that here in Chicagoland we are hitting 50 next Wednesday. It has been a hard Winter.

Homemade Wasp Trap

1) Cut the neck off a plastic pop bottle.
      2) Remove the bottle cap and flip the neck upside down and place it in the bottle opening that you just cut.
      3) Tape together using packing tape or duct tape.
      4) Bait the trap. The easiest is sugar and water, but I’ve also read that meat works well in the spring and early summer because wasps are attracted to protein, or other options are sugar and water, water and vinegar, beer, soda, even laundry detergent. Adding petroleum jelly or cooking oil along the steep edges of the trap can cause them to lose their footing and fall into the hole.
      5) Hang the trap by either taping a string to it, or affixing a screw that you can use to hang.
      6) Empty the trap – but first make sure the wasps are dead by pouring boiling water in or freezing. Personally, I’ll just dispose of entire trap and make a new one.

One last note, be mindful where you place the trap as living wasps will be attracted to it. Place a distance from where your kids or pets will be spending time.

• #24524 Reply
      Greenbird15
      Keymaster
      • Topics1222
      • Replies1222
      • Total2444
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

This is me last yr~ouch!

• #24532 Reply
      Xfilesgirl75
      Keymaster
      • Topics283
      • Replies1272
      • Total1555
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

Ouch is right!

I have tried the store bought trap and it didnt work for us. We just spray(wasp killer) and knock down nests when we see them.

• #24533 Reply
      Greenbird15
      Keymaster
      • Topics1222
      • Replies1222
      • Total2444
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

@xfilesgirl75 I read that hanging paper bags stuffed with plastic bags and tied with a string deters wasps because they’re territorial.  I did that at the end of the season last yr-it may have worked? I told my neighbors what I was doing because I didn’t want them to think I was doing a hex or something haha. The sting in that pic was a bald faced hornet (really they’re wasps). They’re called hornets because they really really hurt you and sting you repeatedly. I know what kind it was because I grabbed it from my arm, threw it down and stomped on it. I kept its body as a trophy for a while seriously. I felt like filleting that piece off of my arm it was so painful. Then last year I got gotten again but from a yellow jacket and my tounge and lip swelled. I have an epi pen now just in case I go into anaphylaxis.

this is the kind of wasp thing I made

Don’t let their cute bald-faces fool you

I’m telling you they seem 10 times bigger when they attack you

Check out this video I found-I was scared watching its booty pulsating like try me!

• #24535 Reply
      Xfilesgirl75
      Keymaster
      • Topics283
      • Replies1272
      • Total1555
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

Yep those wasp stings hurt! I hope the traps and bags work for you!!!!!

• #24537 Reply
      Greenbird15
      Keymaster
      • Topics1222
      • Replies1222
      • Total2444
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

@xfilesgirl75 me too there is a wild area across the street and 1 house away-an old man whose backyard has been neglected and a wooded area behind  his yard and a horse stables and park after that (foxes live there aww). My neighbor across the street said that her neighbor’s backyard has a lot of wasps and she had to get rid of nests under her front steps a few times. Idk why that bald faced guy attacked me I was just standing there-it was a cold night and colder morning so maybe it was just mad. A hairdresser I know said that they attack people with curly/wavy hair. I was at her house letting my daughter swim in their pool with her daughter and was being chased by wasps (literally chased) and she was just standing there. She said that they don’t bother her but all of her friends that have curls are on their list!

• #24539 Reply
      Xfilesgirl75
      Keymaster
      • Topics283
      • Replies1272
      • Total1555
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

@xfilesgirl75 me too there is a wild area across the street and 1 house away-an old man whose backyard has been neglected and a wooded area behind his yard and a horse stables and park after that (foxes live there aww). My neighbor across the street said that her neighbor’s backyard has a lot of wasps and she had to get rid of nests under her front steps a few times. Idk why that bald faced guy attacked me I was just standing there-it was a cold night and colder morning so maybe it was just mad. A hairdresser I know said that they attack people with curly/wavy hair. I was at her house letting my daughter swim in their pool with her daughter and was being chased by wasps (literally chased) and she was just standing there. She said that they don’t bother her but all of her friends that have curls are on their list!

@Greenbird15

wow curly hair..that is odd..interesting though

• #24609 Reply
      mnm1994
      Keymaster
      • Topics440
      • Replies1781
      • Total2221
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★

I have never used any type of trap for wasps or such…they don’t bother me.
      I’m sorry about what happened to you. I think I remember when that happened last year. I hope you are safe from them this year.
      Wow…that guy handling the wasp scared me!

• #24655 Reply
      Greenbird15
      Keymaster
      • Topics1222
      • Replies1222
      • Total2444
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

@mnm1994 I know right eek

Reply To: Wasp Traps-Any experience?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.