11 replies
  • Author
      Danelle
      Participant
      • Topics3
      • Replies82
      • Total85
      • ★★

Our male cat has always been a bit of a weirdo. He used to chew on things a lot and had chewed threw a few cords on head phones, a few phone chargers and things like that, but stopped over the last year. Now he has started checking on things again and is eating our robes. He will go to them randomly and start checking on them. I noticed one little spot on the sleeve of mine that was missing the other day, then today he was chewing on them again.  They are hung up on a coat rack, but he still gets to them. Today I noticed a big chunk missing from the bottom of mine, where it looks like he was sitting there and chewing on it. I now have the bottom of the robes rolled up and tucked inside the pockets so he can’t reach them, but I don’t know what to do.

We have cat toys around the house, he is an indoor outdoor cat so he is active, he plays with our dog and we play with him. He gets quality food and wet food and even treats.  He is such a sweet cat but such a pain.

• #22399 Reply
      Xfilesgirl75
      Keymaster
      • Topics193
      • Replies1330
      • Total1523
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

Omg I have never heard of a cat eating things like robes before. How odd. Cats can be a pain..especially  male ones. They seem brattier..ha! You may have to spray the robes/robe area with a spray that cats dont like. We have one here. It kinda smells spicy but since you wear the robes that may not work. You may have to put the robes inside a closet from now on. So odd though!

• #22408 Reply
      mnm1994
      Keymaster
      • Topics566
      • Replies1921
      • Total2487
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★

What a little stinker!

I agree with @xfilesgirl75 just put the robes in the closet or use a deterrent spray. Maybe he likes the texture of the fabric and that is why he is chewing it? I’ve had cats that chewed on blankets and that was because they were taken from their mother too soon…also have a dog that chews on blankets now. Maybe you could give him his own blanket? Faux fur works well for this.

Good luck!

• #22425 Reply
        Danelle
        Participant
        • Topics3
        • Replies82
        • Total85
        • ★★

I have them the bottoms of the robes tucked in to the pockets for now to keep them out of his reach. I would try our closet, but it doesn’t have doors on it, so it wouldn’t be much help. I am going to keep the spray bottle handy that we use for the dogs and spray him if I catch him chewing on it. He was trying to chew off a piece of one of the dog toys yesterday.  I am going to get some deterrent spray to see if it will help. Ann suggested putting hot sauce on everything, which I have used hot sauce with a dog that liked chewing, but I am not covering my robe in hot sauce.

• #22426 Reply
      Danelle
      Participant
      • Topics3
      • Replies82
      • Total85
      • ★★

He was still with his mother when we got him from the animal shelter, but he was 8-9 weeks old.  I can try getting him his own blanket, but he doesn’t have a specific spot he likes to lay really. He sleeps on the chairs, our beds and in the dog kennel sometimes.  

• #22427 Reply
      Danelle
      Participant
      • Topics3
      • Replies82
      • Total85
      • ★★

The next problem I have to work on is my husband. I tell him that the cat is eating the robes and that they need to stay hung up a certain way, so he for some reason takes both of them down last night and leaves them on the couch and leaves my sweatshirt on the floor. I know that he wanted his robe last night because there was something going on last night with police looking for something because their were gun shots last night, I don’t think any one was hurt though. Our neighbors do weird things sometimes, and the police were just looking in to it. But i have no clue why he got down both robes.

• #22434 Reply
      Xfilesgirl75
      Keymaster
      • Topics193
      • Replies1330
      • Total1523
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

So you have to train your husband and the cat! HA! Maybe you can spray your hubby too when he’s bad! HA!!!!

Well good luck. Maybe you will have to keep the robes in a  dresser then.

• #22437 Reply
      mnm1994
      Keymaster
      • Topics566
      • Replies1921
      • Total2487
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★

I’m still trying to train my hubby LOL and it’s been 25 years hahahahaha….sometimes food works

• #22440 Reply
      Greenbird15
      Keymaster
      • Topics1227
      • Replies1364
      • Total2591
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★
      • Site Admin
      • PATRON

You ladies are too funny! What a cute cat next1here Maybe your cat likes your stuff because it smells like you? I don’t have a cat though. Maybe your cat is doing this out of boredom?

Maybe you can make a post on Jackson Galaxy’s FB page and ask him?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/JacksonGalaxy/posts/?ref=page_internal

It can be dangerous to chew on cords (electric shock) and fabric can cause blockages. Good luck!

• #22627 Reply
      Danelle
      Participant
      • Topics3
      • Replies82
      • Total85
      • ★★

I’m still trying to train my hubby LOL and it’s been 25 years hahahahaha….sometimes food works

I have had 14 years of trying to train my husband and it hasn’t worked yet. I don’t hold out much hope for him, maybe the cat though.

• #22680 Reply
      mnm1994
      Keymaster
      • Topics566
      • Replies1921
      • Total2487
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★

I have had 14 years of trying to train my husband and it hasn’t worked yet. I don’t hold out much hope for him, maybe the cat though.

@next1here LOLOLOLOL!!!!! Yes!!!! That is me too! And my cat is cuter and doesn’t talk back hehe

• #22850 Reply
      Anonymiss92706
      Participant
      • Topics2
      • Replies66
      • Total68
      • ★★

I have 5 cats, 3 are boys.  They can all be weird at times!  One of my boys, Tiger, is sitting on my lap right now.

Reply To: I don;t know what to do with my cat

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.