5 replies
  • Author
      Beckie
      Participant
      • Topics3
      • Replies18
      • Total21
      • ★★

We decided about a month ago that there was getting to be way to much clutter on our farm. Things that we just don’t use anymore and were taking up room and making more work. For example we have a greenhouse that we raised a whole 16 tomato plants and 8 hot peppers in it.  The cost to buy these plants is only around $8 so why do we have an 9 x 10 greenhouse including wood burner in it taking up room and adding to our weed eating work? Guess what’s up for sale…

We have a set of plows that we never use anymore…guess what’s up for sale… Grooming chute for cattle….(kids show sheep)….hog feeder (It’s cheaper for us to buy a full grown one from our neighbor who raises hogs then it is for us to raise one our self)…So all of this stuff is going. We have a trailer load that we’re taking to the flea market in 2 weeks and I’ve listed the big stuff already on Facebook to sell and make some money to put on bills. Already have the hog feeder sold and interest in the greenhouse and chute. I”m hopeful that in another 2 months the trailer will be filled again and going to the last flea market for more money. That money is then going to pay off bills which will in turn reduce my stress. I like the feeling it’s giving me.

DH in turn has been gathering up all the junk metal that’s been gathering around and taking it to the scrap yard. Old lawnmowers that he was going to fix, broken tiller that can’t be fixed, etc. Not only is that money helping to pay down debt but it’s also making things look better around the house and cutting back on the work load of weed eating around it. Much easier to be on the riding lawnmower and just cut it all down in one quick pass.

These rainy days have also got me started on things inside. I’ve cleaned all 3 of my kids bedroom and taken out 4 large sacks of trash and 2 large bags went to Goodwill. They haven’t missed any of it being gone. Pretty sure the kitchen is going to be next. Less I have the better I’m starting to feel about things and the whole house/farm is looking so much better and getting to be less work.

I think part of this thinking also came about when we were talking to one of our neighbors who is thinking of selling his farm and moving because it’s hard on him trying to handle everything. Do you have any idea how much STUFF he has to get rid of! We’re talking 5 barns/sheds and a 4 bedroom house with a 2 car garage! Alot of this stuff I know he doesn’t use because one of the barns is across from us and he’s never in it but it’s got a bunch of old dusty stuff in it.

When the kids are grown and moved out in 10 – 12 years I want to downsize into a 2 bedroom home on just an acre or two of land. Not able to do as much as we do now but then I figure we won’t be able to do as much either. I’ll have to take a 4 bedroom, sewing room, 2 living rooms,  2 bath, kitchen home and squeeze it all into 2 bedrooms. Sure the kids will take their stuff with them but it’s still a lot of STUFF. If I start doing this now my life will be so much simpler then what it is now and I can enjoy it more instead of having to clean around STUFF.

So my plan is to sell this trailer of STUFF and fill it again in 2 months and sell that SUFF. Wish me luck!

• #7099 Reply
      Roisin
      • Topics70
      • Replies186
      • Total256
      • Mom Friend
      • ★★★
      • Group Admin

I want to declutter so much crap around here. Though I’d like to come over and buy a few things your selling!!

I truly think my DH has a borderline hoarding problem!

• #7107 Reply
      Beckie
      Participant
      • Topics3
      • Replies18
      • Total21
      • ★★

Feel free to come shop! I’d love to get rid of a bunch of it.

• #7118 Reply
      mnm1994
      Keymaster
      • Topics377
      • Replies1638
      • Total2015
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★

Wow! That sounds like a lot of work! Good for you for doing this…it’s going to pay off!

• #7123 Reply
      Beckie
      Participant
      • Topics3
      • Replies18
      • Total21
      • ★★

It is but it will be worth it in the long run as it means less work dealing with it.

• #7128 Reply
        mnm1994
        Keymaster
        • Topics377
        • Replies1638
        • Total2015
        • Queen Bee
        • ★★★★★

That’s for sure! It’s wanting me to get motivated to have that garage sale I keep putting off 🙂

Reply To: Clearing house / farm

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

description
About The Happy Homesteader This group is dedicated to women and families that have been living the homesteading way of life or for those that are beginners or want to start and do not know how to start. Homesteading is a way of life that goes back to the basic roots of living and surviving. Living so that we are not so dependant upon society in order to survive. We are in hard times, and learning how to grow your own food, canning, raising animals, and many other topics will be discussed here. This is a group for us moms that need to bounce ideas back and forth off of eachother, to support eachother, and learn from eachother. This will be a group for people to feel welcomed and comfortable. Those that feel the need to be rude or meanspirited will be removed promptly. Thank you all for joining and I hope that this group is informative and beneficial in our homesteading endeavors!

Group Administrators

Profile Photo
Roisin
@roisin

Group Moderators

Profile Photo
mnm1994
@mnm1994