The Happy Homesteader

• Public Group
  • 1 week ago

members

Getting to know you….

Home Forums The Happy Homesteader Getting to know you….

last updated by  Roisin 7 months, 2 weeks ago
3 voices
4 replies
  • Author
      Roisin
      • Topics70
      • Replies186
      • Total256
      • Mom Friend
      • ★★★
      • Group Admin

Let’s start again for all veteran and new members and give a small intro on you and your homestead or goals/wants!

• #1563 Reply
      Roisin
      • Topics70
      • Replies186
      • Total256
      • Mom Friend
      • ★★★
      • Group Admin

My name is Cynthia, Most irl call me Cindy. I have many aliases lol… Here I’m known as Roisin (Pronounced Ro-sheen). My family does medieval reenactment which my name is Hjordis (Your-dis). We are 10th century Norse Vikings. We live and breath the Norse lifestyle inside and outside of our medieval life! I am also a mom to 8 and my DH and I have been married 11 years. We both work at a facility that cares for the disabled. I homeschool my kids. Things I enjoy are online gaming, movies, and few select tv series, being outside, camping.
      Anyways, I am the owner of The Happy Homesteader. About 10+ years ago my husband and I found some property across the street from my in laws. There was a crazy old man that lived up here. It was his parents property. It was up for tax sale. We gathered the money and the day of the auction we went up to buy just to be completely devastated to hear that the taxes were paid up. We were determined to have this property. We went out on a limb and decided to write to the owner of the property. We told her our story on how we are looking to buy property and begin a homestead and live and teach the old ways of life to our children. To live a better, happier life. Never in a million years did we expect what happened next. She wrote us back and told us the property is ours. She was getting older, and her kids did not want anything to do with the property. We were in total shock. Once we bought we began our planning and moving. We first had to deal with the crazy guy here. We gave him eviction notices. After a couple months he seemed to have abandon the property. So we began moving our belongings. The day we were going to spend our first night is the day the worst, yet best thing happened to us. I pulled up the drive to find the modular with everything we had in there burnt to the ground. I was devastated obviously. So we picked ourselves up and began cleaning the remains. We bought a cheap little camper and pulled it on the property. We got power hooked up and the well going for water. Let me tell you it was the best summer we have had. We lived almost exactly as we were planning on. I cooked on the fire every meal of the day. We got our chickens and started our little garden. During that summer our well intentioned friend decided to help us refurbish another old mobile home on the property to get us in for the winter. Although it was good.. it was just as bad, because it started the downfall to how we want to live. All the modern amenities creeped in over the years. Yes we still have our garden, animals, etc. But we are living two lives and I hate it. With DH working full time and I on the weekends its hard to keep up on homestead chores to make any of it worth while.
      We’ve been discussing over the past year about making a move. My Dh is increasingly unhappy with his work, but feels stuck here. Our homestead is not what its supposed to be. So we’ve looked at some properties up it Maine. I think it would be a fantastic move and change. Get us back to what we want/need to do for ourselves. We’ve been trying to do this with my in laws, but he’s chronically ill and I’m not sure right now what his future holds. So atm our moving plans might be on hold.
      So here I am, stuck on my lil homestead in limbo!

• #1606 Reply
      mnm1994
      Keymaster
      • Topics377
      • Replies1638
      • Total2015
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★

Wow…I love your story. I’m not a Homesteader, but I did grow up on a farm when I was a little girl in Texas. I’m from a small town that’s about fifty years in the past. We pumped water from the well, growed all our food and livestock, milked the cows, churned the butter and made the cheese, sold all the extra to the market to the “rich” people…the only thing we got from the store was the staples like coffee, sugar, flour and such. And a piece of hard candy and a soda pop. I only wore shoes on Sunday when I was little and took a both in a galvanized tub in the dining room! Yep…I grew up like that LOL. Now I’m in the burbs haha. I need to live five minutes from the grocery store. But I refuse to eat anything frozen or canned…only fresh veggies for me hehe.

• #4265 Reply
      Baconbits
      • Topics460
      • Replies405
      • Total865
      • Super Mom
      • ★★★★

I’ve owned my little homestead for almost 20 years now and love it. Just a little under 5 acres but it’s good for me. We have a lot of the modern things but also do our own canning & butchering. We try to keep things fairly simple with the kids. People wonder why our kids play outside so much more then theirs and it’s pretty simple. Because we only get 1 channel on the TV and they’re not allowed on the computer all day.

• #4285 Reply
        Roisin
        • Topics70
        • Replies186
        • Total256
        • Mom Friend
        • ★★★
        • Group Admin

Here, here! Kids don’t need all they have today!

Glad you’re here with me!

Reply To: Getting to know you….

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

description
About The Happy Homesteader This group is dedicated to women and families that have been living the homesteading way of life or for those that are beginners or want to start and do not know how to start. Homesteading is a way of life that goes back to the basic roots of living and surviving. Living so that we are not so dependant upon society in order to survive. We are in hard times, and learning how to grow your own food, canning, raising animals, and many other topics will be discussed here. This is a group for us moms that need to bounce ideas back and forth off of eachother, to support eachother, and learn from eachother. This will be a group for people to feel welcomed and comfortable. Those that feel the need to be rude or meanspirited will be removed promptly. Thank you all for joining and I hope that this group is informative and beneficial in our homesteading endeavors!

Group Administrators

Profile Photo
Roisin
@roisin

Group Moderators

Profile Photo
mnm1994
@mnm1994