• Author
      Roisin
      • Topics70
      • Replies186
      • Total256
      • Mom Friend
      • ★★★
      • Group Admin

This has become my new motto so to speak! I’ve talked about this briefly, but I’m really liking the way of thinking that I’m kind of forcing myself to think like. Couple weeks ago we butchered our first pig. We have been going through a rough patch financially (waiting and depending on our lovely government!) just trying to get through. Then on this fine afternoon as our Pig is hanging from our tree it hits me. Why am I worrying about these things. Why is my happiness being held hostage because of money. The questions of how I’ll pay for this or what to do for that, etc..etc… Every time we go through money problems it always gets somewhat better eventually. It will this time too, its just a question of when! Anyway, so I started thinking that if we were in a survival situation, having this pig hanging from our tree we would of thought we struck it rich! Nothing else would have mattered, but the fact that we had each other and food on our plates. I began looking at what we have. Food, health, family and kids running around playing, land, shelter, transportation, work. What more could I ask for? Why am I letting myself be so unhappy, so uneasy with worry? I still keep trying to slip into that worry and dispair over needing money for this and that, but I keep telling myself ” I GOT A PIG! ” over and over again.
      You wrote this post on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM

• #1555 Reply
      Roisin
      • Topics70
      • Replies186
      • Total256
      • Mom Friend
      • ★★★
      • Group Admin

This post is probably the most important post we had in the group. It became our group Motto! “I GOT A PIG”! Anytime we needed uplifted or a reminder this was what we reminded each other with, and I hope to continue this valuable group tradition..

I GOT A PIG… 🙂

• #1608 Reply
      mnm1994
      Keymaster
      • Topics377
      • Replies1638
      • Total2015
      • Queen Bee
      • ★★★★★

What a wonderful way to look at things. We always have to remeber to be grateful, for what we DO have 😘😘

• #1945 Reply
      Baconbits
      • Topics460
      • Replies405
      • Total865
      • Super Mom
      • ★★★★

I remember this post very well and I to still have a pig! It’s been my motto for sometime since this came out although at times it is hard to remember.

• #2543 Reply
      Roisin
      • Topics70
      • Replies186
      • Total256
      • Mom Friend
      • ★★★
      • Group Admin

What your “pig” for today?

As I sit outside right now ending my week I see some things I’ve accomplished this week and although its really not much it brings me some peace and motivation to get more done.

• #2550 Reply
      SeekingPeace
      • Topics460
      • Replies405
      • Total865
      • Super Mom
      • ★★★★

I love this story! Thanks for posting it!

Reminds me of what my grandmother used to always say, “As long as you have a roof over your head, a warm place to sleep, and a full belly, you have a lot to be grateful for.”

• #7069 Reply
      Beckie
      Participant
      • Topics3
      • Replies18
      • Total21
      • ★★

I was thinking about this post this weekend as I sat on our front porch bone tired. I looked around and thought “Yep I have a pig. Just wish it was one with BBQ sauce on it grilling”. LOL I REALLY wanted a slab of BBQ ribs this weekend and didn’t get them. 🙁

Seriously though as tired as I was I thought about the pig that I have. A garden that’s looking great, a barn full of animals, a yard that needs mowed, etc. It was a good feeling to be that tired but knowing that things were looking good.

• #7084 Reply
      Roisin
      • Topics70
      • Replies186
      • Total256
      • Mom Friend
      • ★★★
      • Group Admin

I could use a “pig” moment. Been in the dumps about things lately… time to start seeing all my “pigs”again!

Pig

• #7087 Reply
      Beckie
      Participant
      • Topics3
      • Replies18
      • Total21
      • ★★

I like those pigs! Sometimes we need to take stock of what we do have and realize that we have really been blessed in life with much more then what we think. We have to clear the clutter out in order to see the garden.

• #8167 Reply
      Victoria
      Participant
      • Topics0
      • Replies12
      • Total12
      • ★★

Thought you could use a laugh Roisin! If ours doesn’t stop escaping, I’ll have BBQ!

• #8181 Reply
        Roisin
        • Topics70
        • Replies186
        • Total256
        • Mom Friend
        • ★★★
        • Group Admin

🤣 I love it lol…. oh I “fondly” remember the days of having our pigs escape!

• #11261 Reply
      Baconbits
      • Topics460
      • Replies405
      • Total865
      • Super Mom
      • ★★★★

I need a pig moment right now. Life is getting me down and I’m thinking I need to get rid of some of those pigs to help out. I love our camper pig but it’s gotten to where it’s more work then fun for me so since the kids are outgrowing it we’re selling it. We got rid of our green house pig because it was WORK trying to keep the grass trimed,etc. Now if I can just get rid of the junk pig piled up in my back room, all the extra clothes pigs that seem to keep coming down to the laundry room clean, etc. I’ll feel much better. It’s time to sell some pigs and just keep the ones that give me joy!

• #11286 Reply
        Roisin
        • Topics70
        • Replies186
        • Total256
        • Mom Friend
        • ★★★
        • Group Admin

I too need a pig moment. I’ve been distracted to say the least. I’ve been so conflicted with life lately. I can’t say I’m unhappy but then I’m not happy at the same time. Need some kind of change.

Reply To: "I Got A Pig"

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

description
About The Happy Homesteader This group is dedicated to women and families that have been living the homesteading way of life or for those that are beginners or want to start and do not know how to start. Homesteading is a way of life that goes back to the basic roots of living and surviving. Living so that we are not so dependant upon society in order to survive. We are in hard times, and learning how to grow your own food, canning, raising animals, and many other topics will be discussed here. This is a group for us moms that need to bounce ideas back and forth off of eachother, to support eachother, and learn from eachother. This will be a group for people to feel welcomed and comfortable. Those that feel the need to be rude or meanspirited will be removed promptly. Thank you all for joining and I hope that this group is informative and beneficial in our homesteading endeavors!

Group Administrators

Profile Photo
Roisin
@roisin

Group Moderators

Profile Photo
mnm1994
@mnm1994